Get inspired by the natural treasures of Chacala and immerse yourself in Mexico’s vibrant culture.
Explore Chacala’s exuberant natural surroundings and immerse yourself in Mexico’s vibrant culture. Take advantage of the many opportunities for adventure, exploration, and learning available. Our front desk staff will be happy to assist in planning your activities and excursions with local guides and co-ops.
• Las Cuevas Hike and Boat Trip: This guided 4-mile hike takes you over an extinct volcano covered with lush tropical jungle to the secluded beach of Las Cuevas, or the caves. At low tide you can explore the caves where it is said pirates hid their treasures. Ride a panga, or boat, back to Chacala to admire the coastline. The total tour is 3-4 hours, $25 per person, minimum 4 people.
• Snorkel at Isla Coral: Take a 25 minute boat ride to an uninhabited island with crystal clear waters to discover the sea life in our region. Snorkel gear is provided. The total tour is 3-4 hours, $35 per person, minimum 4 people.
• Boating & fishing: Go out on the water and spend a relaxing day fishing! You’re likely to catch mahi-mahi and yellow-fin tuna. Fishing gear, snacks and cold beers are provided. The tour is a minimum of 2 hours, $50 per boat per hour, for 1-4 people.
• Horseback riding: A guided horseback ride through the jungle to the beach of Las Cuevas with time to enjoy the beach and explore the surrounding area. The total tour is 3-4 hours, $60 per person, minimum 2 people.
• Surfing at “La Caleta” break: Experienced surfers will enjoy the left-break at La Caleta, just a 7-minute boat ride away, and a well kept secret. Bring your own surfboard or rent one in town. Round trip boat transfer ia $45 for 1-6 people.
• Whale Watching (December- March): Take an early morning boat ride to search for humpback whales that migrate annually from Alaska to Mexico for the breeding season and enjoy seeing these magnificent creatures in the wild. Total tour is up to 2 hours, $30 per person, minimum 4 people.
• Boat tour through a mangrove swamp full of exotic birds and wildlife: An hour and a half car ride north along the coast takes you to the outskirts of the old port of San Blas, where “La Tovara” mangrove awaits with many bird species, turtles, crocodiles, and other wildlife. The total tour is 6-8 hours, including 1-2 hours of the mangrove boat tour, time for swimming and eating and a tour of the historic San Blas port. Cost for round trip van transportation: $45 per person, minimum 4 people. The boat ride is not included and must be hired upon arrival at San Blas (around $10 per person).
• Altavista Hike: Visit the petroglyphs (rock carvings) of Altavista, thought to be around 2,000 years old. The site is still a very important spiritual and ritual place for the Huichol Indigenous communities of the region. The guided trip is a 35-minute car ride each way and then an hour walk through the jungle to the petroglyph site. The total tour is 3-4 hours, $30 per person, minimum 4 people.
• La Peñita (Traditional Mexican market): Visit this quaint Thursday morning market in a nearby town where you can find arts & crafts from various parts of Mexico, jewelry, Huichol art and souvenirs, and a thriving section for locals selling food and household goods. The total tour is 4 hours, $20 per person, minimum 4 people.
• Nearby beach towns, each with its distinct flavor (Sayulita, San Pancho, Lo de Marcos): Spend the day exploring nearby beach towns along the Riviera Nayarit. For a beginners surfing destination, head to Sayulita, just 45 minutes away, with surf lessons and equipment rental, shops, restaurants and bars. The total time with round-trip transportation and time to explore is 6-8 hours, $40 per person, minimum 4 people.
• Private Spanish Classes (all levels): Learn or improve your Spanish language skills with private or group classes (when available) with our enthusiastic and experienced teacher, Janet. Suitable for beginning to advanced-intermediate level. Rates are $20 per hour for private classes and $15 per hour, per person for group lessons, minimum 2 people.
• Visit our Organic Farm and Community Projects: We’d love to take you on a tour to visit our 17 acre Organic Farm and our Montessori-Waldorf School in Chacala. There is a $10 transportation cost for the farm. Donations for either the Montessori School or Trade School are gratefully accepted.
Important: Rates are quoted in US dollars. All excursions must be paid in Cash directly to service providers. Rates and availability of activities are subject to change at any time without further notice.
Mar de Jade hosts the Best Retreats in Mexico. Choose from a wide variety of Yoga Retreats, Meditation Retreats, Workshops and many other Programs.